Roughly 7000 years before the start of this campaign an event happened called the Collapse. Over a short period of time several massive disasters damaged the world, killing off most of its inhabitants. Some of the major disasters are:
• The sun began to eject large coronal mass ejections and has since been shrinking slowly. The rate of shrinkage probably isn’t noticeable to shorter lived races.
• The Moon was broken into several chunks that still orbit as a cluster and are now collectively known as the Shattered Moon.
• The sea levels rose by about 100ft, flooding the coastal regions. The area now known as the Shallow Sea was damaged the most. It used to be a low-lying bay area where the Osyvergas elves had an expansive kingdom.
• Many of tunnels of the Deep Dwarves collapsed. The deep dwarves under the Shallow Sea area are the only ones to have reached the surface and there has yet to be a sign that any other deep dwarves survived the event.
• A new jagged moon appeared that orbits irregularly. It’s known as the Blood Moon and its appearance is believed to coincide with great wars and calamities.
• The Gods stopped answering prayers and have not been seen since.
• A powerful maelstrom appeared in the center of the sea.
• A massive chunk of the disc, roughly 2.66 millions sq miles in size, broke away.